The main purpose of the seminars is to support a culture of open and principled discussion on matters of general interest to the public. These discussions require that each of us is open to the difference views of others and the different perspectives they bring to the conversation. It is hoped that each perspective, including your own, is examined through the filter of rational inquiry. We are not here to teach each other, but to learn and to be open to incorporating what we experienced into our own thinking.
1. Seminar leaders collect articles and other materials and provide guidance for participants to prepare for upcoming seminars. These materials are posted on this website.
2. Participants will prepare for each seminar in advance by reading materials, viewing videos, and doing other activities prepared and presented by the person leading the seminar leader for the session. Materials related to the topic, collected by other participants, is encouraged as well.
3. New members who have not prepared for the seminar are welcome to attend and observe.
4. Seminar leaders present the topic in a manner that encourages feedback, questions, and discussion.
5. Participants are encouraged to question, challenge, offer feedback, and generally engage in constructive and respectful discussion related to the topic. The focus is on the merit of ideas.
6. Expect that others have perspectives very different from you. Rather than seeing this as an opportunity for debate, use this as a way of broadening your understanding by trying to take their perspective, and rationally examining it.
7. Anecdotes or personal stories are appropriate when making a specific point related to the prepared materials. Conversations that take the seminar away from the topic are strongly discouraged.
8. Back and forth conversation is encouraged but moderated to assure every participant desiring to do so, has ample opportunity to speak.
Keeping the flow of the conversation is the responsibility of the assigned moderator.
To be announced at end of august
There are other activities co-sponsored with the Lewes Library that may be of interest.
We have materials from the previous three years that may be of interest
Our experience here in Lewes, Delaware has been extremely positive. If you want information about how to start a seminar in your community, we are delighted to provide consultation.
I'm your About section. Click to edit and tell your visitors more about the educators at your school. How many of them have advances degrees? Have any of them received awards for their work?
I'm your About section. Click to edit and tell your visitors more about the curriculum you offer. Who teaches your classes? How can visitors sign up for these courses?
To be part of the rich educational offerings of the Lewes, Delaware library providing an opportunity for citizens to be part of welcoming learning community.
Click on a file to download.
Files coming soon.
Be the first to hear about upcoming course registration and special events.